Sunday, May 19, 2013

RIP Jordan Ryan Costa


“It’s like a Michael Bay movie!”  That’s how Jordan Costa and I would always describe our conversations.  They were full of explosions, giant robot transformations and other crazy adventures.  
Bryan pitched this idea of doing videos for announcements and, of course, Jordan and I chose to make them comedic, low-budget, action movies.  We had a great time filming them and although most of the students didn't find them entertaining, Jordan and I would be in the back of the youth room laughing (sometimes with tears!) because we thought they were the best things ever.   
Apart from filming ridiculous videos, we would often talk about ministry.  Jordan was younger than I, but he had wisdom far beyond his years.  He always wanted to know what people’s ‘perspective’ was on certain topics. He was always reading books and listening to podcasts.  He probably could have preached a message on every verse in the book of Jeremiah!
Jordan and I lived in the parsonage together.  I grew up with two older sisters so he was like the brother I never had.  And like a brother, we often had our disagreements.  We butt heads like brothers, we got mad at each other for trivial things like brothers, but at the end of the day we were just that…brothers.  Brothers in Christ, brothers in ministry, and brothers in our friendship.
Yesterday I left work early to attend his wedding.  I was happy to see Heather and Jordan smile as the wedding they worked so hard to plan came into fruition. And as I left their reception, I hugged Jordan and told him I was happy for him.  
This morning, I heard the news that he an his new wife were in a tragic car accident.  Heather and Jordan were rushed to the hospital.  Heather was in stable condition and Jordan was in critical condition.  Unfortunately, Jordan didn't make it.
Words cannot describe the feeling of losing a friend.  Especially a friend who was the happiest man in the world 24 hours ago.  
Anyone who knew Jordan knew that he loved Jesus; they knew he loved Heather, and they knew he loved youth ministry.  The reality hasn't quite sunk in yet, and I don’t know if it ever will.
But I know one day, I’ll see my friend again in Heaven.  I imagine us both laughing as one of us turns to the other and says “I thought there’d be more explosions.”

I miss you buddy:
RIP Jordan Ryan Costa 4/23/1992-5/19/2013

2 comments:

  1. JD, this is beautifully written. I'm so sorry for your loss. I will lift you in prayer, as I have been lifting his family and Heather's. I wish I could do more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so nice. Im Jordans sister Brooke =) The little one in the yellow dress at the wedding and youre right i feel like it isnt even real. Like how is he even gone? I dont think reality will ever hit me. I miss and love him and im sure everyone else does too. I love you jojo! RIP

    ReplyDelete

Popular posts