Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Romans 11


Romans 11:16-20 (NIV84)

"16 
If the part of the dough offered as firstfruits is holy, then the whole batch is holy; if the root is holy, so are the branches. 
17 If some of the branches have been broken off, and you, though a wild olive shoot, have been grafted in among the others and now share in the nourishing sap from the olive root,18 do not boast over those branches. If you do, consider this: You do not support the root, but the root supports you.19 You will say then, “Branches were broken off so that I could be grafted in.”20 Granted. But they were broken off because of unbelief, and you stand by faith. Do not be arrogant, but be afraid."




Basically Paul was talking to the Gentiles about how they shouldn't brag to the Jews that they now have the same salvation. 

I really like what Paul says in verse 18.  "You do not support the root, but the root supports you."  This can be both humbling and reassuring.  

It's humbling because God doesn't need my help.  God doesn't need me to pursue youth ministry.  Revival will happen even if I'm not obedient.  Really my calling is a gift and a privilege.  


The thing that makes it reassuring is the fact that I can't mess anything up.  The fact that God allows me to use my gifts and abilities for Him is amazing.  


I also like what Paul says in verse 20. "Do not be arrogant, but be afraid."  Wow.  


I guess I can be guilty of arrogant faith at times.  When I do something for God it's easy to brag because I feel good about it.  And there's nothing wrong with feeling good about being obedient, but when we do things to make ourselves look good it becomes a problem.  


Well that's it tonight, I should probably get some sleep.  


Tomorrow night is Romans 12!  


Goodnight and thanks for reading,
-JDWayt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular posts