Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Romans 4

Ok so lets get right into it then.

Romans 4:13-15
"13 It was not through law that Abraham and his offspring received the promise that he would be heir of the world, but through the righteousness that comes by faith. 14 For if those who live by law are heirs, faith has no value and the promise is worthless, 15 because law brings wrath. And where there is no law there is no transgression."

Here Paul is using an example to make a point and it's the same point he has been making since the first chapter.  Abraham wasn't made righteous by the law, he was made righteous by his faith.  Paul explains earlier in the chapter that Abraham was considered righteous before he was even given the law of circumcision which was a big deal to the Jews  (verses 9-11).

Verse 15 explains that the law doesn't save us, but it shows us that we need to be saved.

So, I'm going to break it down as simple as I can.  I know these chapters talk about 'the law'.  The law is all the religious stuff that Christians do (or in the context of the time that Paul was writing, the things that the Jews did).  Going to church, praise and worship, attending small groups, pretty much any action of faith is considered religious. Now please don't get me wrong, none of those things are bad things.   In fact, they are all wonderful things but they aren't what save us.  Every religious thing I do is an action that is a result of Christ living in me.

Why do I go to church? Why am I interning at my church? Why did I get baptized? Why am writing blogs about Christianity? All these things are/were done because my faith in Christ has changed my life and has given me both the desire and the ability to live for Him.

Well that's it tonight! Thanks for reading and tune in tomorrow, Romans 5 is going to be awesome.

Happy belated Valentines day!

-JDWayt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular posts