Friday, February 24, 2012

Romans 13

Romans 13:8-9

'8 Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law.9 The commandments, “Do not commit adultery,” “Do not murder,” “Do not steal,” “Do not covet,” and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”'

This blog is probably going to be super short tonight so sorry in advance lol.

Paul is saying that we should our love for others should be a continuing debt.

We should love others like we're paying a bill.  I pay my credit card payments regularly, and (when I can) I pay more than the minimum payment.  I do this to keep my build my credit score and as a result I can get approved for more credit (although it would be extremely unwise for me to take advantage of that).

I'll admit my financial habits aren't necessarily 'Dave Ramsey' approved but I guess loving others should be similar in some areas.  We shouldn't love others out of obligation but we should love others regularly.  I don't pay my credit cards whenever I feel like it, I pay them regularly.  Also, just as there are benefits to paying my debts faithfully, there are benefits to 'paying' our love debt as well.

When we exceed the minimum payment by loving others more than they deserve, we become known for our ability to love others. And just like paying my bills gives me the ability to carry a larger balance and thus pay a larger debt, loving others faithfully gives us the ability to carry a bigger burden and love more people.

So, although digging myself deeper in financial debt would be stupid, digging my self deeper in my debt of loving others is a great idea.

This blog was short but I really enjoyed it.  Thanks for reading.

-JDWayt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular posts