Monday, February 13, 2012

Romans 3

Ok so.  I didn't post a blog yesterday because I had to be at my church at 8am.  I was there until 12:30, had lunch with some friends and then returned at 4 for our college group class called _theQuest.  After that I had work from 8pm until midnight.  So in other words, I was extremely busy yesterday to say the least.  I probably won't blog on Sundays.

Ok now that I'm done making excuses...

I'm only in the third chapter of Romans and I'm already noticing  a theme.

Romans 3:21 (NIV84)
"21 But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. 22 This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. 25 God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished– 26 he did it to demonstrate his justice at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus.

27 Where, then, is boasting? It is excluded. On what principle? On that of observing the law? No, but on that of faith. 28 For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from observing the law. 29 Is God the God of Jews only? Is he not the God of Gentiles too? Yes, of Gentiles too, 30 since there is only one God, who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through that same faith. 31 Do we, then, nullify the law by this faith? Not at all! Rather, we uphold the law."

Well, I feel like I could just end this blog right here.  Honestly that sums it up perfectly but I'll explain it anyway.

First, plain and simple, we are saved by the grace of Jesus Christ.  There is nothing I have done, nor is there anything I will ever be able to do to earn my salvation through Jesus. Salvation can't be earned by upholding the law.

I remember a time shortly before I accepted Christ.  I was doing things to try to get to God.  I was lifting my hands in worship, I was attending church, I was even playing guitar for my youth group's worship band.  The whole time there was something missing.  I felt like I was doing everything in my power to make my way to God...but that was the problem.  There was nothing in MY power that could save me.

Shortly after I got saved, there was a song that really got me excited. That song is called 'I Am Free'.  My favorite line in that song 'I am free to live for You'.  That is how I felt after my moment of salvation.

I was free to live by the law written on my heart.

This brings me to verses 27 through 30 which explain the purpose of the law.  The law gives us the ability to recognize that we fall short of the glory of God.  The ability to uphold the the law, to live according to His word, is a result of our salvation. So really the ability live more like Christ and uphold the law is a is a gift from God.

So, like Paul says, we can not boast when we uphold the law.  When I overcome sin in my life, I can't brag and say that I'm strong willed or whatever because the only reason I can even do that is because I have received that which was freely given.

That's the big thing I learned in this chapter.  One of the things in a journal I had a while ago was "Every ounce of good in me is from Jesus Christ".  I wrote it on the front page to remind myself that my morals, my "Straight edge" lifestyle, my character were not things I produced, but rather things I had been given.    

If I had to sum up this entire blog in one sentence it would be this:  By the grace of God, I am free to strive after Him.

2 comments:

  1. Love this! So glad you picked Romans to start with! hah. This comment will be short...just want to say I LOVE vs. 24! everyone knows vs. 23 For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,(....but wait theirs more!) vs. 24 being justified FREELY by HIS grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus!!!

    ReplyDelete

Popular posts